Sunday, October 17, 2010

Open Studio #3

I started the third project in Open Studio. Gone back to oil, encaustic on canvas (30"x20"). Subject is the night. I hot gunned my first layer and added the second today. It's a beautiful sunny day so I was able to do it outside, better than the garage. It's always an emotional roller coaster. I'm excited and prepare everything then I'm standing in front of the canvas and I have a brain freeze and have to force my hand to pick up the brush and make the first mark. Will this ever go away?!

The first two projects were installations looking at memory and place. This one will have the paintings as the main focus. If I have time I may add another element. I've used encaustic before but on board so the new element is the canvas.  Ross Bleckner is definitely my influence here. Click his name to see his work.

It's a lot of pressure because all our projects go in the Gallery for two weeks. So it's not just one day for class critiques -  the whole campus can go and see and respond. Adds a little fear factor when experimenting with new ideas or mediums.

I've not had time to resize photos for the internet. Too busy working on my portfolio which is due at the end of the month. Once the portfolio is done it'll be less hectic and I can post images from the first two projects and this one.

Hope everyone is having a fabulous weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment