Friday, March 22, 2013

"Just Dance" exhibit

Just got word that I've been accepted for the Arts Council of Surrey "Just Dance" exhibit! I'm so excited. It's the second juried exhibit I've been accepted. I've changed my medium from oil to acrylic and have been experimenting on what I can do with it so getting this acceptance is very encouraging. 

I started this piece knowing I wanted to address another kind of dance. A dance that most people do not need to think about. I wanted to bring this inside phenomena out into the open so to speak. The human body is wonderful, so many systems working together to make us who we are. 

The neural dance is as necessary to life as the air we breathe. I wanted to represent this phenomena. I began by researching MRI images of brain activity both healthy and not so healthy.  In one set of slides blue represented healthy firings and red unhealthy. I used this as the basis of my painting and overlaid a silhouette of dancers. The red sits waiting to multiply and entangle the dancers synchronicity.


Artist Statement:


“The Hidden Dance Within”

Acrylic on Arches 140 lb Oil Paper 2013
Elizabeth Anderson
There is a dance that’s within us invisible to the naked eye. Special machines and dyes are needed to see this dance.  It is taken for granted. It never misses a beat. We laugh, love, learn, live our lives without appreciating that without this neural dance the smallest move to the grandest thought would not be possible. Indeed we may shy away from facing this delicate dance within until a life event brings it into focus and the dance stumbles.














No comments:

Post a Comment